Wildfire Season in Spring Valley?
In San Diego County wildfires is a major hazard. SERVPRO® of Spring Valley/Jamul offers these tips for creating defensible space around your home from the County of San Diego and the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) to help Spring Valley residents prepare for wildfire:
100 Feet of Defensible Space is the Law
California state law requires that residents treat 100 feet of defensible space around their homes. This includes such steps as mowing and properly maintaining lawn and weeds, pruning or removing ignitable trees and shrubs, stacking firewood away from the home, and making sure the home's address is visible to emergency vehicles.
Tips for Landscaping Around Your Home:
- REMOVE dead vegetation and other flammable materials, especially within the first five feet of the home
- KEEP your lawn hydrated and maintained. If it is brown, cut it down to help reduce fire intensity.
- PRUNE tree limbs so the lowest branches are six to ten feet above the ground to help reduce the chance of fire getting into the crowns of the trees
- MOVE construction material, trash, and woodpiles at least thirty feet away from the home and other outbuildings
- DISPOSE of branches, weeds, leaves, pine needles, and grass clippings that you have cut to reduce fuel for the fire
When you have a fire damage emergency in Spring Valley, SERVPRO® of Spring Valley/Jamul is on-call and ready to respond 24-hours a day. Call us today at 619-600-5305.
Franchises are Independently Owned and Operated.