Warm Up Without Fire Risks | SERVPRO® of Spring Valley/Jamul
With a moderate climate and only the rare glimpse of freezing temps, this is the time of year that most people wish they lived here. However, when you do live here, any time the temperatures take a slight dive, you are likely to reach for the thermostat to turn the heat on.
If you are not taking care of your heating equipment, you could be creating a fire hazard.
You deserve to be as warm as you want to be. Take action to warm up without fire risks all winter long.
Most of our houses likely have HVAC/furnace combos. These highly efficient units tolerate our weather well, but they do require regular maintenance to keep them running well long-term.
Clear out any leaf or limb debris after a storm, and keep your unit dusted to avoid excess buildup. Replace your air filter every 90 days, or more often if you have pets. The air filter not only keeps things running, but it can also help cut down on dust in the air inside your home. Use the changing season as a reminder to change your filter.
Fireplaces may not be a necessity for us and warming our homes, but they are still sought-after as a beautiful centerpiece. They can create the perfect ambiance on even the warmest winter evening, and make you feel even warmer when we do drop below sweating weather. Regardless of how or when you use them, fireplaces should be inspected and cleaned each season.
If you have a wood-burning fireplace, or a converted fireplace with a chimney, it should be cleaned of ashes and soot and checked for blockages. Artificial fireplaces should be dusted often, including the logs and screen or glass covering.
Space heaters are a great way to heat a single room and perfect for our chilly mornings. California does have regulations on space heater usage, but electric heaters are pretty widely accepted. Space heaters pose a hefty fire risk when used inappropriately.
Make sure your space heater is not gas or water-heated, and that it has an automatic shut-off feature if it is tipped. Keep it on a flat surface, and always plug it directly into the wall.
Keep a close eye on your kiddos and your pets when you have the space heater or other heating devices on. Most house fires are started due to an avoidable accident. Prevent the chaos of a fire in your home and stay warm and cozy all season long.
If you experience fire damage this season, give us a call at SERVPRO of Spring Valley/Jamul for immediate assistance. We’re here 24⁄7 when you need us!